Air regulator

Jay Whitely jwhitely2000@yahoo.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:38:40 -0500

Hello all,

I was looking at a Blubird swap that someone else had
performed a few months ago. I noticed that the
Bluebird intake manifold does not have an air
regulator on it. It has a raised cast area where it
would go on a USDM manifold, but there is nothing
there at all....no bolt holes, no coolant nipples,
etc...like the USDM intake manifold.

Therefore, whoever did the swap still used the air
regulator, but they were not able to bolt it up to the
intake manifold like it is supposed to be.

As I understand it, coolant flows right next to the
air regulator. As the coolant warms up, the spring
inside the air regulator warms up and the shutter
begins to close.  Once the car is at normal operating
temperature, the shutter is fully closed. This
decreases the amount of air allowed into the intake
manifold and the idle speed then drops.

Right now, the regulator is just hanging in free
space. It is never seeing coolant flow and never
closing. I think that is would cause the idle to
always be too high, even when the car is warmed up.

I am thinking about just capping off the connections
at the intake manifold and simply eliminate the air
regulator altogether.

My thinking here is that the only side effect of doing
this will be that the car will not idle high when
cold.

Can anyone confirm this theory? I know that people
with low ports have to eliminate the air regulator
when they install MSD injectors and they seem to be
okay.

Thanks a lot,

=====
Jay Whitely