What's the big deal with coilovers?!

Scarpulla, Christopher [IT] christopher.scarpulla@ssmb.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:53:43 -0500

Brent Barts wrote:
What's the big deal with coilovers?!

*********************
Psst... over here
Have I got a deal for you!

I'm heading up a large group deal to have high rate springs custom produced
for B13's only. These springs will be 300lbs front / 200lbs rear with a 1"
drop. This rate and drop was suggested by Mike Kojima as optimal for street
drive B13's that occasionally see track use.

A few of the reason coilovers are better than Eibachs, are that you can
adjust the ride height, corner weight the car, and choose from among many
different spring rates and heights. B13's have very limited suspension
travel, and don't deal well with large suspension drops. Eibachs are
progressive rate, soft springs with a 1.5" drop (going from memory, I may be
wrong, but I know it's more than 1"). What you wind up with is a car that
will bottom out frequently, and not handle well.

Up to now, nobody has produced a high rate OEM type spring for B13's.
*These* springs address that issue, and we've had allot of interest in them.
If you don't need adjustable ride height, the ability to set corner
weighting, or the need to change spring rates, they may make sense for you.

Expect to see allot of used Eibachs for sale once people get these springs.
I know mine will be for sale, but I don't expect they'll be worth much.

As far as shocks go, if you're looking for a good suspension on a budget,
KYB AGX's can't be beat. They're adjustable on the car, and can be had for
under $400 for the set.

We've got close to 40 participants, and 2 shops who are buying these
springs, for a total of 50+ units. We just recently hit quantity 50, which
dropped from cost $270 to $240, so your timing is perfect. You will need to
act quickly because we expect the deal to close in the next few days.

Take a look here for details
http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14576

Regards,

Chris