Grassroots mag + N1 transmission questions

Steve Foltz stevefoltz@hotmail.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 21:35:00 -0500

>The potato was developed with no money from donated
>parts and has never been tested as their is no budjet.
>If some money comes through, it will get a quaife
>diff, maxima rear brakes, SE-R rear axle assembly and
>an Altima final drive ratio.

Timing is everything, I was thinking of just such a thing yesterday.  I just
bought a N1 transmission for my 98 basically to get the limited slip.  The
gearing being different is secondary to me.  It would seem that the standard
first gear from the sr20de would be better in the n1 for some applications.
Gap between first and second seems long on the n1 by my calculations.  How
hard would it be to take first gear from the standard sr20de transmission
and switch it into the N1 transmission of the same design (cable
clutch/cable clutch)?  I assume from the previous posts that the final drive
would also carry over if wanted.  Also, my calculations show the N1 if
shifted at 7300rpm would drop to 4271rpm; with the de first it would only
drop to 4647rpm.  Standard shifting on the DE transmission takes you from
7300rpm to 4352rpm first to second shift.  The ratios in question for the N1
are 3.333, 1.95, 1.33, .975, .756 final drive of 4.44, de transmission has
3.063, 1.826, 1.286, .975, .756 final drive 4.176.  BTW.  This is not just a
theoretical question.  I will actually have both transmissions in a couple
weeks and may do the swap.  Am I thinking crazy?  I have never driven an N1
transmission.

Steve Foltz
98 Sentra Se
N1 on the way,