bell housing seperation

Ben Davis bendavis@sr20deforum.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:09:43 -0500

> How do I seperate the bellhousing from the gear case?   I need to do this
> today and was wondering the easiest way. TIA.

Take all the obvious bolts around the gear case off. Then take the "cap" off
the end of the gear case exposing the end of one of the shafts. There is a
large snap ring in there that needs to be removed. There are two in there- a
smaller and a bigger one a little further down the shaft. Remove the bigger
snap ring, pry around the case mating surface a little with a putty knife to
break it loose, then remove the gear case. It helps angle the case off
instead of pulling it straight off. Lift up on the axle hole side higher
than the side with all the gears in it.

Ben Davis
2 trannies and 2 motors apart in his garage at the moment