Odometer Failure

Cade Metz cademetz@cademetz.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 23:30:54 -0500

Searched the archives, and found one person who had a failed odometer in a
200SX SE-R, but no responses or ideas why.

In short, I noticed about two weeks ago that my odometer had stopped working.
To be honest, I'm not real sure how long it's been malfunctioning. I recall
quite a few tanks of gas last fall, that I got less than 170 miles (I'm a
heavy footed person, but good grief!!!). For all I know, the odometer was
crapping out way back then. As much as I hate to admit it, I just drove to
L.A. and back for Spring Break: started with 80,055 miles, got back 80,533; so
either the earth shrunk, or it really isn't working. lol

Any way, The odometer rarely works now. The longest mileage it's worked
recently, was 188 miles (and that was two weeks ago (measured on the trip
odometer), and then stopped. Every time I notice that it's stopped, I reset
the trip odometer so I can notice when it's working again. It now works in
short 1 - 5 mile spurts, rarely going over 5 miles before it quits again.

The only thing that seems to explain the odometer working when it is cold
weather, or the car is cold. When the odometer works, it usually on a
cold/cool morning, when the car has sat overnight. Once the car is warmed up
or if it's a hot day, the odometer doesn't work.

Now, I should point out that my Speedometer is working normally, haven't seen
it malfunction once. In my short experiences working at a Nissan dealership,
the two seemed to always go bad together. So, any ideas? I do realize that I'm
going to have to inform anyone of this issue when or if I ever sell the car,
so no need to remind me of this. ;-) TIA!

Cade Metz
'96 200SX
A Few Things