Cam install

Brian Kokoska bkoko001@yahoo.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 08:37:57 -0500

Brax,
Do yourself a favor and get the proper torque wrench.
You'll use it again later; mods like cams are
addictive.  Also note that those cam bolts are to be
tightened in steps in a very particular sequence.  It
is well worth the extra five minutes to do it right.
Improperly tightened cam bolts can break your cams,
bend valves, and probably do worse.
Don't break your engine to save a few bucks on a tool
or instruction manual.  If you don't want to spring
for a FSM there's enough info on SE-R.net to get the
job done; just make sure you read over more than one
person's instructions.  Lew's are particularly good.
Good luck.

Brax wrote:
manual, I notice
that the torque specs on both the valve cover bolts
and the cam cap
bolts are in the low inch-pounds.  I have two torque
wrenchs, but the
in-lb one starts at 120, and the ft-lb one at 10 ft-lb
(same thing, I
know).  It seems most of these bolts are to be 4-5
ft-lbs max.  That's
almost little more than finger-tight, isn't it?
Do you who have done this just go by "feel" or should
I maybe be looking
for a lower "power" torque wrench?  I'm decent with a