Valvetrain shims question

Raymond A. Kawski sr20de@epix.net
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:12:56 -0600

COOKIE JARANILLA wrote:

> Is it possible to lose a shim without throwing the rocker arm?
> Can a shim get dislodged without affecting anything else?

Possible mabye probably not.  Having the shim come out would
require there to be about 1/4" space between the rocker and the
shim.  If just the shim where to come out that would require the
other side to go down 1/4"  suggesting twisting of the rocker.
If the rocker didn't crack or jump out during that I would be
amazed.  If it did somehow manage to come out I would think the
rocker would break or pop out real soon!

The follower on the other hand is probably less likely to
come out since its shaped like a "U".  The rocker fits
into it.  So again probably not but anything is possible.  Best
bet pop the VC and check.

RK