Classic Warped Rotors

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 10:18:25 -0600

Duffman _ duffmandiffs@hotmail.com wrote:

>The rotors on the '92 classic I recently purchased are warped. Being on a
>budget I will probably just turn them down. However, if they are warped
>beyond turning what do you recommend I do? I have two sets of 14" wheels
>currently, so I don't want to move up to 15" yet. I think that rules out the
>NX upgrade if I'm not mistaken. I see courtesy sells oem classic rotors for
>around $65. Is this pretty much my only choice if I'm on a budget?

Before you do that, there is a very interesting tech article on the Stoptech
site written by Carroll Smith, the dean of automotive racing engineering.  He
suggests that what we think of as warped rotors is not warpage.  He states
that what we feel is an uneven distribution of pad material on the rotor.  You
see, when we bed in pad, we are depositing pad material on the rotor (a very
thin film if you will).  This uneven build-up causes uneven grip and causes
the pulsation.  He explains why turning the rotors will only temporarily help
in this situation.

You might want to read this before spending any money.  I believe the site
address is just: <http://www.stoptech.com>  If not, just do a search.  Oh, and
the article is in the tech section.

George Roffe