Spec V Discontinued???

Mike Schaeffer mschaef@io.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:41:48 -0600

I just heard from my dealership that the Spec V SE-R was discontinued. If
I hadn't heard it independantly from two salesman, one of whom I
actually trust and have worked with before, I'd just write it off as a
pressure sales tactic. Even then, it seems odd that they'd have to use
pressure techniques and a 'This is our last one' sticker on a
higher demand, limited availability, specialty car like the Spec V. I did
call another dealership who said the car was _not_ discontinued, but the
salesman was self-admittedly inexperienced, and might not have known.

I'm curious to know if anybody else has heard similar rumors or facts. If
it does turn out to be true (which I can't really understand how that
would happen) any thoughts on why it did happen? I have a couple theories:

- It was always to be limited-production run and has come to the end
- Not a profitable option package, so discontinued to cut costs now that
  the 350Z is closer to reality, and able to maintain 'sports car'
  credibility for the brand.
- Temporary production stop to fix some intrinsic defect or limitation
- It's just the 'Spec V' name that's been dropped, and the equipment
  package will now be sold under some other name.

Thanks,
Mike