Weird Smell.......Please Help

tobinthomas@juno.com tobinthomas@juno.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 20:23:17 -0600

Hey guys, I know there has been lots going on in the list, but I have a
question for anyone, or to the other Spec V owners out there........
Here's my problem:

Every time I stop my car after driving, it has this "burning plastic"
smell, I think coming from the engine bay...... it just started to happen

                1) I ALWAYS warm up my car before driving
                2) I checked all fluids, and all are ok
                3) I'm at about 2400 miles and I did not do my first oil
change yet.....                 could it be that??, it doesn't smell like
burning oil though
                4) There wasn't a plastic bag caught and melted on my cat
(this                         happen to a friend) so it couldn't be that
                5) The odor is there whether I drive 2 miles or 200 miles
                6) It happens whether I drive hard or not (running the
CVTC or not)
                7) I could smell it through my vents sometimes when I'm
running the                 fans without the AC
                8) The Engine Temp never goes past half way
                9) I don't "burn out" or "peal out" or "power shift", so
I'm sure that the                 smell isn't clutch

Well, that's all I can think of when I tired to trouble shoot this
problem myself, Thanks in advanced to those who responded.

Tobin Thomas
Molten Silver 2002 Spec V