Shifter (bushing) question

Brax Sisco xenex@chpl.net
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 22:38:19 -0600

Well, I finally got my Pacesetter Shifter today after 2 months on
backorder... I plan to do the install tomorrow, weather permitting.
I've read up on se-r.net and elsewhere about the install, and I think I
can do it.  But here's my question.  I also got the ES "shifter
stabilizer" bushing, based on se-r.net and the archives.  But what I
THOUGHT it was was the bushing that goes around the "ball" on the
shifter lever.  I now see that it is instead the bushing that mounts the
support arm to the tranny.

Now, I was hoping to do the install using the car jack, a couple of
jackstands, and a socket set.  But to install the ES bushing, will I
have to remove the motor mount?  Is it possible to just slip them in
from under the car, or would I have to remove the "support arm" and
press the bushings in?  Also, I don't have any "ES grease."  Is that
some special stuff, or can I just use CV joint grease?

I've never installed a shifter before, so I just want to know what I'm
getting into.  I don't have a garage, or a hydraulic jack, etc...

Thanks,

  Brax