VVL (was Re: VE, DET, or kit.)

Peter Jackson jacksopc@earthlink.net
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:03:25 -0600

Ray wrote:
> Louis Rosanova wrote:

> > I only has two cam profiles, and three stages.

> Technically 3 cam lobes per cylinder on a particular cam.

> RK

Yes, there are three lobes per cylinder.
But, the two outer lobes are the same and act as a pair. This allows the
force on the rockers to stay centered.
The outer lobe pair and the single middle lobe result in just two cam
profiles.
The two profiles are combined in the aforementioned three stages.

Each stage has a different dyno curve peak. Shifting between them allows
the VE to essentially add the three peaks together into one curve with
much more area underneath.

That is a simplified description. try here

http://www.nissan.co.jp/COMPASS/TECH/VVL/frame7.html