How can i clean an engine?

Jim Wright wrightj@apple.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:07:11 -0600

On 3/27/02 2:56 PM, "Brian Carvalho" <brian@g20.net> wrote:

> http://www.se-r.net/car_info/clean/index.html

Wrong side, Brian.  He meant the inside.  ;)

On 3/27/02 2:51 PM, "EJ Ortiz" <erniejoel@yahoo.com> wrote:

> i check SE-R.NET on using the STP engine flush but i've heard it's not safe to
> use it since it can clog some of the oil system.

Ok, the concern is that running a flush through the engine can disloged crud
that might be around some of the seals, if this happens, an oil leak can
develop.  This will generally only happen if the seals are on the hard side
and aren't flexing back into shape.  Most flush products have addatived that
are supposed to recondition seals, better oils also have similar addatives.
Synthetic oils help with this also.

As for the STP flush, I believe someone posted recently that this is going
off the market because there wasn't enough demand.  It was good stuff, I
used it several times with great results, but was priced a bit higher than
other products.

I know that a popular brand is Gunk, comes in a big old can, there are some
pricier alternatives available in some automotive shops, but I've used Gunk
twice and it seems to work well.

If you use one and plan on going to a synthetic oil, I'd recommend switching
to a synth blend first, then if you don't see any signs of leaks, switch to
full synth the next change.