VE, DET, or kit.

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:34:29 -0600

> As flat a torque curve as a DET?

Well, probably not as MUCH torque as a DET (turbos are great at increasing
torque), but I wouldn't doubt the flatness.  I've seen a dyno chart for a
sr20ve and that curve was flat and a lot higher than a DE from what I
remember.  This is no surprise considering the VE basically has 3 different cam
profiles to play with.

>    SR16VE, 2000 used SR20 Crank, SR20VE pistons and rings, SR20DE used
>    rods I beleive. And you can turn the 16VE into a 20VE, you'll have
>    the 16VE cams and all that for cheaper than buying a 20VE and
> buying
>    cams for a 16VE
> Are the Valves the same size for the 1.6 and the 2.0?

Since is sounds like all the bottom end parts are interchangeable (probably
same block), I'd think the top part, the valves, WOULD be the same.  In Japan,
there was a SR16VE N1 spec motor which put out ~200hp vs. the SR20VE's ~190hp.
This leads me to believe that the valves, cylinder head, and such are the same
and that they basically just destroked the SR20 to get the SR16.  This is all
conjucture, no facts :)

Khiem