B13 bar on P10 no more

Stewart, Joe (COX-Atlanta) Joe.Stewart@cox.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:09:45 -0600

I posted a while back that I had put my B13 bar on my P10. It made the car
handle great, and I loved it, but as of last night I had to remove the bar.

The problem is twofold....

When you use the B13 bar, the B13 end links are too short (but useable) where
the P10 end links are too long. So you have to use the B13 end links into the
control arm like the B13. This will work, and will work fine, except that it
binds the suspension up and will not let it droop fully. This means the car
can get airborne with the slightest bit of negative G's going over a hill
(among other things). It also pulls the suspension down which changes the toe
a bit I think. This is what caused my rapid tire wear.

Well, to fix the first problem, I had some custom end links made up that were
shorter than the stock P10 ones. These worked great, and put the bar into a
good position that didn't bind, using the P10's normal stock mounting holes.
However, as it turns out this moves the bar closer to the frame rails, which
gets us to the second problem. The bar is not wide enough to clear the frame
rails. So, after spending several days beating the frame rails into
submission, clearancing the top of the bar, etc, the suspension would still
clunk going over anything more than a smallish bump. Suspension noises drive
me crazy, so yesterday I got fed up and removed it. My car is stock height,
using stock springs, so on a lowered car, it would be even worse.

It's a shame because the car really liked the bigger bar. Oh well, back to the
drawing board.

Oh, the 215/40/17 fit just fine up front, and it looks like the rear will fit
with some fender rolling (OK, a lot of fender rolling, but I still think it
will fit fine). Gives lots more sidewall and rim protection due to the size of
the bigger tire. Only problem is that my new tire/wheel combo weighs 4 more
lbs per corner than my old one. Oh well.

-Jay
93.5 P10 with lots of new parts
http://www.nx2k.com/G20/index.htm