MOTOR MOUNT SWAP

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:55:41 -0600

> I am doing the passenger motor mount (the "easy" one) swap tomorrow. One
> thing I am not quite clear about : Do I use TWO jacks? I assumed that I
> should first raise the car to provide access to the underside (using a floor
> jack or ramps) and then use a scissor jack under the oil pan to hold the
> engine in place (or slightly  raise it) as I swap the mount. But according
> to Rick Zotz's instruction page, I should only need 1 jack.

Yes, you only _need_ one jack, but two might make it easier, since getting the
bolts all back in place required some major flanagling of the motor position /
angle / attitude / my attitude (I uttered some words that would have made Geo
blush.)  You might need to use jack stands to get the car in the air high
enough to get the scissors jack under the oil pan, but I don't recall...  I
used a piece of plywood under the oil pan to avoid denting it, and I think I
had to loosen all of the other motor mounts to get the right bit of movement.
You really need some patience, might need to move the jack around a little bit
to get leverage from the right direction, and having a helper who can hold
your hand when the going gets rough might not be too bad either.

Tim Rogers
-'93 NX2000 T-top
-'91 NX2000 racer-to-be
-'75 Silverado tow vehicle