MOTOR MOUNT SWAP

slamtry slamtry@yahoo.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 18:58:53 -0600

I am doing the passenger motor mount (the "easy" one) swap tomorrow. One
thing I am not quite clear about : Do I use TWO jacks? I assumed that I
should first raise the car to provide access to the underside (using a floor
jack or ramps) and then use a scissor jack under the oil pan to hold the
engine in place (or slightly  raise it) as I swap the mount. But according
to Rick Zotz's instruction page, I should only need 1 jack. According to the
picture on his site it looks like he has the car raised off the ground just
by a scissor jack under the oil pan. Is this right? I would have thought if
the car were raised by just the scissor jack under the oil pan the whole
weight of the car would be on the oil pan just exactly where the engine is
missing a mount which would a) stress the other mounts and b) prevent one
from taking the weight off the mount concerned.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

TIA