Good/Cheap helment

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:05:32 -0600

Matt MA <MA@legacypartners.com> wrote:

>FWIW, SA will typically cost about twice as much as M. Many autocross and
>DE organizers won't care about SA vs. M, YMMV. You decide what you
>want to pay for, and what you want to use it for.

Matt, IMHO you are being reather misleading here.  I don't know about this
year's convention DE, but the organizers (not the club) of the event the two
prior years absolutely *required* an SA rated helmet.  This is our own DE
events.  There are many who do.  That makes the SA rated helmet good anywhere,
but not the M.  I've heard of autocrosses that require SA as well, but I'm not
as connected to that world, so I cannot comment beyond hearsay.

Now, FWIW, I personally believe the requirement of an SA rated helmet is over
the top.  In a number of cases (not as much today however) there are helmets
offered with either M or SA ratings with the only difference being the Nomex
liner (the Bell Sport III and Racestar IV are one notable example).  But, we
live in a litigeous society and there you are.  It doesn't make a lot of
sense, but a great many lawsuits don't either.

George Roffe