Lost Power

Rodel Nasol rnasol@biomarinpharm.com
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:49:43 -0600

Yesterday while driving to work, I started to notice that there wasn't as
much power as there used to be.  On my way home, I completely lost power
while climbing a bridge and I stalled at the top.  After getting towed home,
I tried to figure out what it was.  The engine would sputter and then die.
I checked the easiest items first...plugs, wires, and distributor.  I
searched through the archive and came across a few interesting things.  A
clogged cat or exhaust, bad EGR, malfunctioning MAF and to some extent, the
O2 sensor.  I'll probably take some time off to check out some of these and
as soon as I can get it on a lift, I'll check out the cat.  The question I
have has to do with the sputtering and sudden loss of power.  It was
reminiscent to the time the timing belt on my Daytona lost a few teeth.  I
know there's a chain in the SR20 motor and I haven't heard any clatter on
start up or at any other time, but could it be the chain?  I just reached
190,000 miles on the odo and everyone I've talked to says that you'll know
when it's time to change the timing chain.  I know how messed up an engine
can get when the timing belt or chain breaks.  Has anyone with a clogged cat
experienced the sputtering?  From what I've read, power loss is a symptom.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  One more thing if I may, my
girlfriend has a 1994 altima and her fan switch only works on setting 4.  I
know where the fan resistor is for my car but does anyone know where to find
it in the altima?

Rodel
92NX2k
crossing fingers that it's something simple to fix.