Hand Porting a Turbo

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:57:42 -0600

Jorge <jorger81@yahoo.com> wrote:

>For those of you who have expierience with this, I was wondering if you
>could give me any pointers on the best way to do this for a T25.

If you already have the turbine housing off the turbo, if you look into the
exhause entry side, you will see 4 bumps protruding into the pathway.  These
are there due to the the need to get to the nuts that hold it to the manifold.
You can safely grind these away.

You don't really want to just hog it out, but basically just smooth out the
flow.  You want to use a die grinder to do this.  I used a couple of different
stones and several of the sanding drums.  You can do a really good job this
way, especially if you get some long reach stones.

I did it before sending the whole thing off to Extrude Hone (their process
won't take off those bumps).  It's the first time I ever ported anything.
Like most car related things, your best tool is patience.

George Roffe