Hotshot Header question

Brax Sisco xenex@chpl.net
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:07:52 -0600

I'm planning on getting a header for my '97 200sx sometime in the near
future, but have a few questions.  I tried going to Hotshot's web page,
but it doesn't seem to exist anymore, or maybe is just down
temporarily...  I looked at the info on se-r.net, and it seems kinda
dated, and I couldn't find what I was looking for in the archives, so...

As far as I know, Hotshot is now up to generation 5 of their headers (I
think) and I know that at some point (g4?) they went from a 4-2-1 design
to a 4-1 design.  I had assumed that each generation would be an
improvement over the last, so it would be best to get one of the newest
ones.  But I recently read (and I don't remember where, exactly) that on
the SR20DE a 4-2-1 design gives a broader, wider powerband, while a 4-1
design has a more narrow, "notchy" powerband around ~6500 rpm.  For my
type of driving, I think I would prefer a wider band with more low-end
torque.

I have really tried to find a header "shootout" comparison, and would
even like to hear about some of the other options.  I know pacesetter
makes one, but haven't heard anything good about it.  Greddy makes one
also, I think, but I haven't heard anything about it.  I think HP Racing
and DC motorsports make SR20 headers also?

I suppose most of the list members probably already have headers or have
gone turbo, etc., but I'd appreciate any info anyone might be able to
give me as to what my best option would be with what is available now.
I currently have Jim Wolf ECU + POP and a '91 intake cam to be installed
soon.

Thanks guys,

  Brax