Propane injection kit?

Jon Pennington cowboydren@yahoo.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:29:31 -0600

--- Steve Pechkoff <SPechkoff@gfisystems.com> wrote:

> If you're going to stick more fuel in the combustion chamber, you
> have to get more air in too, and more out as well.

We're talking about turbocharged engines under high-boost scenarios.
I never said it was simple, but I like the idea of spraying propane
into an engine a lot more than I like water, and it'd only be
occasional use.  Granted, water injection is tested; propane is not.
If I were to try, I'd probably use something *very* similar to an N2O
injection system to feed it in controlled bursts matched with intake
manifold pressure.  There'd be three reasons to do it (that I can
see):

 - Use the phase change at the inlet nozzle to cool the incoming air
charge.
 - Use the ultra-high octane of the propane to reduce detonation a
*little* while giving the spark plugs something else to burn.
 - Hope that your EGTs stay in a somewhat-sane range while boosting
absurdly high levels and not supplying much more gasoline.

> If it's been talked about at length in the past (I've only been on
> this list for a few months) why hasn't it been tried yet?

The testing expense you mentioned.  The only people crazy enough to
try it are smart enough not to just "hope it works" and too poor to
do it right. :)

=====
--
-=|JP|=-          Need a good geek?  I'm unemployed!

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://www.xanga.com/cowboydren/    |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |       cowboydren @ yahoo . com        |