catco cat info

EEYORE5182@aol.com EEYORE5182@aol.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:44:52 -0600

i was searching the archives and i thought i would pass along my new info
regarding the catco cat.

for some reason we have a funny cat on our cars to begin with.  instead of
having a 12 inch long cat, or a 14, and so on, we have a 12.5 inch long cat,
with one of the flanges set at 44.6 degrees, instead of horizontal to the
ground.

i found the catco cats @ summit to have great prices.  especially since they
come with shipping...unless you want to upgrade to a higher shipping...like a
2 day or something  i ordered the 14" length and 2.5" inlet/outlet slip-on
cat.  to make it fit, i used a tubing cutter (a hacksaw or sawzal would
probably work to, but this was pretty much a guarantee that the cut would be
straight, even with me cutting :-) ) and cut off .75" off of each end in
order to get it down to the 12.5" length.  i also went down to the local
exhaust fabricator and bought some 2.5" flanges with the 2 bolt holes.  i am
finding out that i have to grind a little off the inside of the flanges to
let the cat pipes slip in, but overall, not a big deal.

after looking at the prices of the random tech cats, this was definitely the
way to go, as long as you can weld and if you dont rush the shipping, and
depending on gasket price, you can probably work with the catco cat for about
$100 cheaper.  definitely worth the little bit of time to monkey it to make
it work.

Alex
'93 NX2k