Best way to handle a long-distance car sale?

Ben Davis bendavis@sr20deforum.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:18:31 -0600

Well, I don't want too speak too soon and jinx myself, but I think I've sold
my Sentra to a guy in Idaho. He just needs his parents to cosign for the
loan and I believe it's a done deal. At this point I plan on driving halfway
there and meeting him in Fargo or Bismarck or something. In terms of the
transaction, people are telling me that I should have all the money in hand
before I set out for the trip. Do ya'll agree? This needs to be fair to the
seller and buyer though. Both should have reasonable assurances that both
are going to follow through, especially over this long distance. Maybe the
buyer should only half the money at first? I dunno- I've never done anything
like this before. Ideas?

Ben Davis
98 Sentra SE - sold (I hope)
93 NX2000 Qwuaaaaaffffffff'd
91 Celica ST 407k and still running strong
93 Metro awaiting SR20