Alternator question?? I just had some sorta failure...

Greyson Crowe GCrowe@itd.state.id.us
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:29:02 -0600

I just went to go get lunch at from work and when I started my car up it was
whining.  Well I listened and couldn't really hear it after a couple min.
Then while waiting in the drive-through line my car was wanting to die a bit
more..and I heard the whine.  I turned on the heater and smelly smoke came out
of the vents.  Pull off and open the hood and the whine and smoke is comin
from the alt/timing cover area.  Can't tell if it's burnt oil or what.  It's a
94 XE w/ the GA16DE btw. Yea I kno wrong forum but I seem to get quicker
slightly leaky timing cover gasket...but the symptoms seen to point to
Alternator or possibly a loose belt.  But..it idle has been dropping and
having a bad surge when I use any amount of voltage.  I figure when I get home
from work I'll check it out and maybe get the alternator tested..but any
immeadiate help/ideas would be great?  And if you respond 2 hours from now
email the response to Nismosentraxe@aol.com
Thanx,
Greyson