2002 Convention wrap up..(my account)

Aaron LaBeau amlabeau@csusm.edu
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:25:55 -0600

The convention was incredible.  Like everyone else has been saying they keep
getting better every year.

Thursday night:
When we arrived in Tempe my car gave up the ghost and stalled after the 360
mile trip (weird).  It happened to stall in front of a "juice bar" so all
was not lost.  Car started up shortly after.

Friday:
Some electrical gremlin burned out a trace on my ECU while giving a test
ride to the Nissan testing facility.  One call to Chris at SR20 Development
and one to Jim at JWT and we had a diagnosis (both you guys kick ass).  $20
at Radio Shack and Mike Mager, Ryan Besterwitch, Dan Heting (sp), and my
handy work had the car back on the road.  I seriously thought the convention
was over for my car; thanks to everyone to stopped to help!

Friday night Drag:
First time drag racing, first time on slicks, first time with a turbo car;
what a way to get broken in.  1st run I bogged launching at 6K and the car
started misfiring at 20psi on the stock ignition.  Let out of it and cruised
part throttle to a 14.5 vs Mager's 13.5.  Second run I backed the boost down
to 14 psi.  Heated the slicks till they ripped me out of the water box, and
launched at 7K.  Got a 1.9 60', the car felt awesome pulled a 13.38 to
Mager's 13.33 (damnit ;)  I think I had him by a couple MPH on the trap
speed.  3rd run I line up next to this Fall Guy looking truck with a big
shot of NOS.  Get a 1.99 60' and a 13.4 at 14psi to his 12.3, damn that
truck was fast.  What a rush getting traction in 1st and 2nd gear; I really
enjoyed drag racing more than I thought I would have.

Saturday:
The car still had quite a bit of C16 from the drag event, it was absolutely
awesome out on the roadcourse.  I left the car in 3rd the whole way around
the course except on the straight where I was hitting about 105mph without
pushing the brakes hard at all.  Even in the slow turns I was able to make a
couple of pounds of boost in 3rd.  After two sessions I decided I pushed the
car enough for the weekend and drove Ryan's bolt on NX for a 3rd session.
His car performed really well also.  After I came back from lunch Rob and
Andris had a running race to see who could ask for a drive of my car around
the course.  Rob won with an elbow and showed his authority with a pelvic
thrust I think.  He seemed pretty pleased with his turbo sizing on my car
and compared the feeling to a 4.0L V6 instead of a turbo car.  We were both
laughing pretty hard at how fun the car is to drive.

Saturday night:
All I can say is Embasy Suites kicks ass!  If you missed this party, well
I'm sorry for you!

Sunday Car Show:
The food was great thank you Michelle for arranging such an awesome catering
company.  I think most of us were cruising slow from the fun on Saturday
night.  It was a real honor to take home the best turbo award, all those
countless hours in the garage really came together on the racetrack and with
that award.  Thank's for voting for me guys and gals.

Like others have said it was great meeting new people and seeing old
friends.  This group of people is truly incredible.  Thank you to all of you
who helped me put my car together (Besterwitch, Mager, Kojima, Cadle, King
Jeff).  Big thanks to Chris Parker of SR20 Development who helped me rewire
my car the week before the convention and add the external cutoff switch for
drag racing.  Thanks for those who took pictures as I forgot to bring a
camera!  BIGGEST thanks to AZ SERCA and those who helped make this
convention what it was; AWESOME.

Aaron (dead tired)
93 turbo classic (survived 2002 SERCA National Convention)