AIV Removal (was Re: Airbox question)

Ben Davis bendavis@sr20deforum.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 10:48:01 -0600

>     Has anyone runinto the problem of the exhaust hose coming of the
> resonator spewing liquid onto their air filter? My filter is soaking wet
> and freezes solid if cold enuff. What are the repercussions for
> disconnecting this hose??

This is the AIV hose. On all 5-6 AIV systems I've removes,  of them had a
LOT of water in the AIV valve on the front of the valve cover. Just remove
the system.

1. Remove the line that goes to your airbox and duct tape up the hole on the
INSIDE of the airbox. It's nice and flat in there so the tape should stay
very well.

2. Remove the AIV valve and small resonator box on the front of the valve
cover.

3. Remove AIV hard line going into the exhaust manifold. Cut it off with a
hacksaw or something close to where it screws into the manifold. Hammer the
place where you cut flat and then fold it over about 3 times. Should end up
looking like this http://www.sr20deforum.com/geekout1/DSC00009.jpg . Screw
that back into the exhaust manifold which effectively plugs that hole.

4. Trace the small hard line back that was connected to the AIV across the
valve cover to a vacuum line that goes into the intake manifold. Remove the
hard line and plug the hose with a bolt/screw.

Voila! No more AIV system and no more water in your intake. :)

Ben Davis
AIV system removal expert