HELP, NEED OPNIONS AND ADVICE

Jon Davis jfdavis@epix.net
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 20:32:25 -0600

Ben Davis wrore:

> What do all the other non-Nissan car
> owners do? FPRs, AFCs, TECIIs, fuel computers, etc. etc. Whenever someone
on
> this list speaks of doing what all the other makes of cars use, it somehow
> will blow up our SE-Rs. Why is that?

FPRs etc. are not the "right" way of doing things, you can't polish the gnat
turds you need to get a car to run like factory (or better). I have S3 cams,
a header and a JDM engine with the stock ECU and it does not run "right".
Idle quality sucks balls. It is easy to stall, you have to rev the engine
more to take off from a stop. The engine stalls at stop signs when the water
temp is below freezing. None of this is earth shattering, but it isn't
right. It would make more power and be a nicer car to drive with an ECU
tuned for the application. You might save a couple bucks by not spending for
an ECU, but JWT is easy and proven to work better than AFC etc. etc.

You could always go to the other end of the spectrum like me... I have
already spent over $1200 on EFI332 stuff, plus I've invested about 100
hours. I have at least another 1000 hours to invest before I have a EFI
setup that works "right". It wouldn't be so bad except noone has done
anything like this for a Nissan before. I had to learn a new programming
language so I can make the thing work with our distributor. Will it be
better than JWT? Depends on how you define better... I have my own reasons
for doing things my way. It won't run better or make more power anyway.

Jon Davis