Mileage king, I broke it in my way ( Idiots Motor Break in)

James McColl jmccoll@cch.ca
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:59:48 -0600

George wrote:

>The Chevy engineers said "OH NO, you want to break it in HARD if you want
it to be fast."

Ok, I'm surprised no one else has commented on this.  Every break-in
procedure for new cars I've always read has always said the same thing:
"keep the rpms low, vary your speed, no full-throttle starts", just
essentially drive the car like a granny for the first xxx number of miles.
This is the first time I've ever heard a hard break-in recommended.

I've never questioned this until now, but now that I think about it, I don't
see any real logical reason for being gentle, as long as it's not a cold car
that's being ragged on.

Other thoughts?

James

P.S. Does this mean that former rental cars are actually good buys? (half
joking)