Very new to list and Se-r's

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 06:07:55 -0600

Tim Herber wrote:

>My name is Tim, and i'v been into sport compacts for a while now.

<AA meeting> Hi Tim. </AA meeting> ;-)

>The reason i'm on this list, is because i am considering purchasing a 91
>SE-R for my daily driver.  Its in very good shape, and has a few mods done
>to it.
    <snip>
>The car is physically in very good shape as well.  He's asking $3k.  I
>have no idea if this is fair, but it seems like a good deal.

It's a very good deal.  Depending upon the condition, that would be a good
deal for an unmodified car if it's in great shape.  Given the mods you
listed, I'd say it's a pretty good deal if it's in good condition (typical
door dings and other minor issues, but no real problems).

>How easy is the sr20de to work with?

Pretty darned easy.  And the fact that they use a MAF makes modding the
engine a pretty simple affair because the MAF will compensate mixture for
improved VE.

>I have read that the bottom end is very strong in these engines as well.

Pretty much.  They can occasionally be sensitive to oiling issues, top and
bottom.  The oil pump is stout, but you don't want a dented lower oil
pan.  You want to rev it over 3k regularly to keep oil flowing properly
through the head and cam oilers - keeps them clean too.  This seems to be a
more of an issue with slushbox equipped G20s that are driven sedately than
SE-Rs.

I'm about to reinstall the original engine back in my SE-R with 220k miles
on it.  It did time in my G20 for about 60k miles before I installed an
SR20DET in it.  I had a killer NA engine in the SE-R, but some steel shot
turned it into a worthless lump.  I have no misgivings about reinstalling
that high mileage engine back into my SE-R.  I'm going to replace the mains
seals and rod bearings because it's cheap and easy while it's out of the
car, but that's pretty much it.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>