Engine Clatter & other questions

Rob & Sam robnsam@iinet.net.au
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:22:55 -0600

Let's see......

> Larry Martin wrote:

> > Now I'm getting it:
> > a) everytime I start the engine
> > b) at idle (stoplights etc. etc.)

> Rob, what is the mileage on the vehicle and what weight oil are you using?
> Oil and filter change how long ago? What kind of filter (anti drainback
> valve or not)?  Oil level good?  How many miles since the problem began to
> appear all the time as you describe?  Has the engine ever
> overheated?  Over
> revved?

Viola,
	 - Oil level - OK. 'twas the first thing I checked

Oil Weight: 5w30 as per Nissan recomm's

Filter has anti-drainback valve - yes

Mileage is 220k (sound appeared approx 2weeks ago - car used once a week
since oct last year)

Oil/filter change 4mths ago (serviced at 6mth intervals)

Engine has never overheated, nor taken past 5k rpm.

Noise hasn't/Doesn't change. It disappears with slight revving, comes back
after engine has settled
into idle again.

Loud enough to worry about

Rob