C2 cam wear

James McColl jmccoll@cch.ca
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:48:43 -0600

Jay wrote:

A lot of people just install new cams, rev it up a few times, and let her
rip. This just doesn't seem right to me at all.

I agree.  It doesn't seem right to me either.  When I installed my S4 cams,
I followed the break-in procedure you've all been talking about.  I used a
Superplug magnetic oil drainplug, and after changing the oil, I found the
plug was just *covered* in shavings from the cam break-in.  The next oil
change had a smaller amount as well.

>From that, gut instinct tells me that a gentle break-in would be better than
simply ripping on them right after installation.

BTW, I think a magnetic drainplug is a great thing to add if you're doing
cams.  Very worthwhile.  I'm glad all those tiny metal pieces weren't
floating around in the oil for too long.

James