header install gone bad

Linn, Steve Steve.Linn@cornerstonecontrols.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:15:57 -0600

Ben Baird said:
>I need help

Ben,
Same exact scenario for the header install I just did a couple weeks ago.
The first stud broke immediately (I had barely even touched the wrench to
the nut - I think it was already cracked or broke).
Craftsman has a VERY nice little extractor set.  Comes with 4 different size
extractors.  I had to remove the right side fan assembly but did not have to
remove the radiator as my cordless drill was just short enough to get in
there.  I had about 1/2" of clearance.  I took quite awhile to drill (about
10 minutes?) and expect your thumbs and wrists to hurt after awhile (kinda
like drilling a block, Mr. Davis?).  Once it's drilled, the Craftsman bit
then has a little collar that you rotate down the shaft and then you
"plunge" (that's what it says in the instuctions) the bit back in to the
hole.  It worked on my second plunge.  Two tips - make sure the drill is in
reverse and make sure you center you hole when you start drilling.  Use a
center punch if possible to mark it.
Steve in Indy