"No Nascrap" petition.

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:19:34 -0600

Jon Pennington wrote:

>This information comes from a guy who "Controls the advertising
>checkbook of several major automotive brands," not from my own contact
>with Fox, so take it for what it's worth, but...
    <snip>
>NASCAR will *not*, contrary to popular misconception, reduce current
>coverage of WRC, F1, various SCCA, various other FIA, or any other types
>of auto racing.

That's BS.  While I appreciate the elimination of the boating and airplane
stuff, as with all of the statements made regarding the change at the Speed
Channel, there is some real BS going on.  NASCRAP is generally filling up
the prime time schedule.  So, while they may show a lot of the stuff that
folks loved that made Speedvision successful, they have relegated it to
times that are quite inconvenient.

In addition, there has been considerable back-pedaling by FOX.  First they
issue a press release stating their intention of building an all-NASCRAP
channel.  Then, a day or two later they back-pedal saying they won't
eliminate non-NASCRAP programming.  This has happened not just once, but at
least 3 times.

So far Fox has used NASCRAP programming to displace some excellent
programming on a regular basis.  Hell, the week leading up to the Daytona
500, primetime was *nothing* but NASCRAP.

Fox appears to have an attitude that they are going to be mostly NASCRAP
and we're gonna like it (since we don't have much choice).  BASTARDS.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20  (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>