Spec-V vs SE Data

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:13:44 -0600

> If you compare the numbers side-by-side, the transmissions are geared
> almost identically.  The only difference appears to be sixth on the
> Spec-V, which is clearly an even taller overdrive.

Well.... if you think of it this way... the new SE-R has a lot lower redline,
6100 right?  So the difference in speed between redline in one gear to the next
is less in the Spec-V than the Sentra SE that you were comparing to.

In SCC, there was an article describing the 0-60 gearing conspiracty among auto
makers.... I'd noticed this before myself, but almost all manual transmission
cars are geared so that 2nd gear is just above 60 mph.  Therefore, you only
have one shift during the 0-60 test so you don't loose as much time.  BUT, the
new Spec-V isn't like that, it tops out at like 55 or something in second....
if I remember correctly....

Khiem