Transmission Fluid Question (long and then some)

LDMartin LDMartin" <LDMartin@email.msn.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:12:17 -0600

> I've run Amsoil in my SE-R for the last 50k with no problems.

Don't know which Amsoil you have but Steve Linn pointed out correctly a
couple of days ago that Amsoil does indeed have GL-4 rated gear/trans fluid.
They're rated for automobiles and another one for the gear cases of marine
motors (outboards and outdrives).  It's important to remember also that our
trannys are not going to fall into dust just because a GL-5 goes in there.
The factor I have seen tossed around is that the brass may have its life
halved by using the sulphur so it would take a good long time in any event.

I wasn't knocking Amsoil in the original post, I think it's great stuff (my
CVs are packed full of their grease) and the more I've looked at them over
the past week or so I've become more impressed than when I started.  Their
motorcycle API SH rated synth engine oil has more friction modifiers and
antiscuff additives than does Motul 300V which is going some.  I also find
that both have ash residues which I would not have expected.  In the newer
SJ API spec phosphorous and zinc (?) contents were reduced supposedly to
help lengthen the life of O2 sensors and cats according to the info I've
seen (I wouldn't have thought blow-by would add measurably to that issue).
Note that both Motul and Amsoil for instance are still with the SH rating
for motorcycles.  Still loaded up with antiscuff and other additives needed
in moto type racing activities I guess and no real emissions issue.  Their
one-level-down oils specifically for cars are SJ.  Looks like that is the
difference, at least between these two company's "racing" oils versus street
oils.  There's even a newer SL spec out as well and I have no idea what may
have driven that.  Any SAE members in the house?

Here again I am captive to the info I can find.  I'm no engineer or
scientist and have no way of confirming or refuting it.  I'm not that smart.
I just have always found the black art surrounding oil and all the claims
for the different ones to resemble fake religions with witch doctors and
high priests in attendance.  You should see these guys dance (even the
"good" guys like Redline, Mobil, Motul, Amsoil, Royal Purple, NEO, the lot)
once I get some of them on the phone or sucker them into answering an Email.
So anyhow, for me it's MT-90 in the bottom and a witch doctor named Vogel
has loaded me up with this great new oil from Motul that is the best, bar
none, of any oil ever made.  I believe....I believe......follow us to
Nirvanna.  Be warned I have 300V engraved in my hairline and the end is
nigh!  But until the end actually comes, here, drink this KoolAid.

Now, enough with this foul and slippery muck, back to my usual recreation of
pulling the wings off of flies..........

Larry Martin
'92 Classic