Jim Wolfe intake on Spec V

Maurice Hilarius maurice@harddata.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:19:08 -0600

Got my Jim Wolf Air cleaner kit for my Spec V on Thursday, and bolted her up.
In general I see noticeable improvement on breathing, especially on top end.
Where it used to be kind of "flat" from 5K up, she now comes on power more
firmly and revs easily.
Well worth it, IMHO.
Noise level is very mild, and only really shows up when it comes on the cams
at full throttle and over 5000rpm.
;>}
One sour note, though: The "mount bar" they provided seems to either be
designed
for an entirely different car, or someone at JWolf was smoking whacky tabacky.
The little instruction sheet for installation definitely did not show
anything that
resembled my car!

It totally did not fit anywhere that I could find.
I modified the bracket, so it was no big deal..

The size of the filter is quite large, and it is a fairly tight fit under
the hood.
New unit, with all hardware weighs 9 lbs.
All the old plastic, filter, and bits I removed weigh 17 lbs., so a bit of
weight loss occurs too.

One thing I noticed that speaks highly for Nissan is that the stock air
intake box has a tube that
goes down and forward into the front bumper area, and is actually a cold
air intake.
However it is rather small in diameter. Still, they tried.
Somebody was paying attention!

On the negative scores for Nissan is that I found a small rubber tube tied
to the outside of the
stock airbox.
After I removed the airbox I found the tube appears to be a breather hose
for the tranny.
With no filter on the end of it I hope it only can expel air, and never
develop suction, as it could
be a nasty way for dirt to enter the transmission.
I was quite surprised to find this, as almost everything I have worked on
has a filter and one way
PCV on breathers.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3

Ask me about the UP1500 Alpha - Full systems from $3,500!