Tint removal

Jay Whitely jwhitely2000@yahoo.com
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:23:12 -0600

> I'm writing to this list because I know there are
> folks who have worked in
> this business and I'm guessing the tinting industry
> must have some sort of
> solvent for removing tint.  Is there?

***George,

No matter what, removing *old* bubbling, purpled tint
is a PITA.  A few things that will help are as
follows:

1. use a razor blade as a scraping tool

2. on the other side of the glass, heat the glass
surface with a hairdryer. Don't use a heatgun. It gets
too hot and will burn your fingers. Heat the glass and
peel away the tint. The heating makes the tint less
likely to tear into an abnormal piece. It should come
off in larger pieces this way.

Do the same thing for the rear window, but be careful
not to scrape the defroster lines off.  3M adhesive
remover is the best stuff in the world and will not
harm the defroster lines or any painted surface. You
can get it at Wal-Mart in the paint and body section.

Good luck,

=====
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL