strange noise on classic

Dan danhj@exilecycles.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:51:48 -0600

My 91 Classic (120K fairly well cared for miles) has started making a
strange noise when I come to a halt. I can best describe it as a "rotational
grinding" noise. Apart from the fact that it is a grinding noise rather than
a squeak I would have guessed brakes but I know the pads are still fine. It
comes from the front of the car and is intermittent, i.e. it doesn't happen
every time I come to a halt. My sense of it is that it occurs more when the
car is first started i.e. when it's cold. I thought it might be thepassenger
side  motor mount, which I have heard often goes around this age, but it
does sound "rotational". Is that possible if it isthe front motor mount?

All help welcomed.

Dan Hugh-Jones