BB DET Life

PCT Hiker pcthiker@yahoo.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:50:59 -0600

At 08:49 PM 2/12/02 -0600, Woof WOof wrote:
>i will probably run stock boost (6 psi) until i see how good the
>condition the engine is.

Stock boost on my DET is 7psi not 6.

>would running the stock TMIC w/ a hood scoop
>be safe at this boost? i will also be running on pump gas, 91 octane, w/ JWT
>tuned ECU. the car will be a street driver,

I have been running a BB DET as clipped from the JDM car (with tmic and NO
hood scoop) since July of 2000 in California as my daily driver.  I use 92
or 91 octane pump gas; it sees boost regularly but is not raced.  Plugs and
piston crowns look fine and compression readings are normal.  Bottom line
is, even though the tmic is crap you can run it stock on the street with
few problems if you don't push it.  You should definitely replace the main
bearings when you get the motor though.  Leaving the old ones in place has
resulted in a number of spun bearing incidents on imported DETs IIRC.

Adam
'91 w/DET