SoCal SERCA Streets event, pics are up

mike kojima choaderboy2@yahoo.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:16:37 -0600

This is Tom Paule and I's SE-R cup racer.

It is a Xenon airdam that has been cut up and reangled
to get the minimum height under the rules, with the
right angle of attack for best aero combined with a
UHMW Polyethalene splitter and undertray with a
special secret underbody shape.

I know the Xenon piece is not exactly the right
leading edge shape for best aero but I wanted
something that could take an off road excusion with
our rocky califorina run off zones and contact with
FIA curbs without damage.

I was going to use carbon but now I feel that UHMW PE
is the best material as the carbon would have been
shredded 3x over by now, the plastic is about a 15 lb
weight penalty over carbon, but I'll take some
durabilty.

The front end has already survived a curb hit ( don't
ask) an evil knievel off track excusion, a haybail hit
and a few rock hits and is still ticking.  Carbon or
glass would be lighter but what good is aero if you
loose it 1/2 way through a race.  The front end
contains brake ducts and a ram air system (well the
ram air system got messed up by the curb hit)

It works unbeliveably well!  It may be worth a couple
of seconds or more a lap depending on the track! It
really helps keep the engine water temps down as well.

It is not that hard to make, it's just getting the
angles right.  It took me two attempts to get
everything right and lined up.

Mike