Some info for those asking about VVL's

ianshannon97 ianshannon97@msn.com
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 09:33:23 -0600

Miko
SE-R DUMB ASS

Registered: Apr 2001
Location: Miami, Florida
 OK here it goes people here are the answers to your questions. The SR16VE VVL
N1 200 HP motor cams will not just bolt into the SR16VE VVL 175 HP or into the
SR20VE VVL 190 HP motors.

The regular SR16VE VVL 175 HP motor at 7,800 RPMs and the SR20 VE VVL 190 HP
at 7,000 RPMs parts and cams are interchangeable. The SR16 175 HP motor makes
about 109 hp per Liter and the SR20 190 HP motor makes about 95 HP per liter.
These motors have the same 11-1 compression but remember that the rod ratio,
crank stroke and piston volume are different. The piston size on all the VVL
motors are the same 86mm. If you put the pistons from a SR16VE 175 HP motor in
a SR20VE you will get a compression ratio some where in the low 12- 1 region,
if I am correct did that calculation of the top of my head.

If you get the cams from a SR16VE 175 HP motor and put them in a SR20VE motor
you will get about 218 HP at 7,800 RPMs if you follow the HP per displacement
comparison I gave, and compression, head and intake design are all the same
the only changing factor being displacement. Then this power change should be
about equal and linear which would give the figures I gave.

Remember people that NA HP is much more smoother, quicker delivered and has a
larger area under the curve when compared to similar turbo equipped motors. I
am not saying they make more HP I am saying that NA motors tend to use their
power band more effectively. You will find that if you have a turbo motor that
runs 14.0 at say 101 MPH in the 1/4 mile and you find a NA motor that runs
14.0 in the 1/4 the NA motor will have a trap speed of about 98 MPH which is 3
miles slower even though these motors ran the same time. The turbo motor will
start to run away after the 1/4 mile but you can see given a certain distance
the NA motor competes with less Hp. The turbo motor will win the 1/2 mile test
and the top speed test just because it has more HP. Get 2 motors with the same
peak HP NA and Turbo, I will take the NA motor because the NA motor will run
quicker 1/4 mile times and get to the top speed just the same as the turbo
motor will.

I will say with confidence that it is very easy to build a low 13 sec SR20VE
VVL motor. Here its goes . Cams from a SR16VE VVL 175 HP motor. Have a 4 into
1 header made with runners about 32 inches long and pipe size of 1 3/4 inches
going into a 2 1/2 in merge collector. 2 1/2 inch exhaust. Nice cold induction
with a JWT Comp and a Nismo fuel pressure regulator. given what I just listed,
I feel that 235 hp is easily had, Or about 205-210 WHP. Also if you compare
that with say a B18 motor that makes that type of WHP these honda motors will
run in the 13s also but remember that the VVL motors have a much larger and
stronger HP curve as well as torque curve when compared to the B18 VTEC
motors. I have already done this motor test already with a friend in the
islands who has a Pulsar VVL and he bought the SR20VE VVL motor from me and
put his SR16 cams in the motor and put in the same headers I listed and I made
him a cold induction and a 2 1/2 in exhaust and the car is a bullet. The car
runs about 12.8-13.2. He has no 1/4 mile track to run it on but has raced
people with cars that have run similar time and he has run even or beaten
them. His car does come with a quicker ratio box which was equipped that way
from factory given it came with the SR16VE motor.

IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS I WILL TRY TO ANSWER THEM QUICKLY.

THANKS ANDREAS MIKO.

91 NX2000 with work.
97 Maxima SE, smooth and powerful automatic
http://www.angelfire.com/ny/ianjiggyroom/IansNX2000page.html