symptoms of a skipped timing chain

Kevin J. Hart khart@usit.net
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 17:04:44 -0600

Sounds as if you need to check your timing.  I know on my car(abet an
automatic) when the timing was good to my eyes i let another monkey check it
said it was about 10dbtdc.  Which is way too low.  it needs to be atleast at
13-15 for good sharp throttle response.  The thing is the ecu pulls some
advance out at tip in to make sure the engine doesnt detonate(or that is
what i have assumed and was told by a few people).  Then it feeds it back in
that usualy leads to this sorta problem.

Make sure your timeing is good at 15 or above depending on what you want.
It made a world of difference in my car.  Went from acting like a carb
getting loaded up and then releasing to almost instant on type of
acceleration.

But back on topic.  Usualy the way to check if you skiped a tooth somewhere
without pulling the VC is if the distributer is at its stop either forward
or backwards and the timing is still a bit off like its at the stop to get
it to 17dbtdc.  Or crack the VC, put the engine at TDC and see if the spots
on the sprockets are in the right place, the gold links are above them, and
there is 20 links between the cams.

Kevin
93 classic (Automatic, Stuff)