RWD SR20DET Bearing Pics Part II

Jay Hassinger Jay Hassinger" <jhassinger@home.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 06:50:12 -0600

> What we have here is a starved oil bearing, #1 journal. Plenty of brass
> shown

:^O

Nice call.  Good choice.  I mean, you've got the motor out, might as well do
them all right?  And well since you're in there put in forged pistons,
crower rods, bull nose and micro polish the crank, balance the assembly to
within .5 grams...er, oops sorry Kojimitis got the best of me.  ;-)

Since you are at this point and have a motor apart in front of your eyes,
maybe you can answer the age old question.  Since I've never had an SR20
torn down to that level (yet) I am dying to know if the rumour is true.

When doing a cam change I've heard that there is not enough room below the
lower sprocket for the timing chain to "drop" off the sprocket completely.
Now I didn't say the chain can't skip, as chain tension has a lot to do with
that, I'm talking about letting all the slack drop down into the black hole.
It was said to me to just let it fall because the chain will still be on the
tip of the sprocket and line back up when you pull it back out.  Of course I
never took the chance and bungee cord the cam sprockets to the hood once
they come off.

Can you shed any light on this?

TAI

Jay Hassinger