Oil Change

Jon Pennington cowboydren@yahoo.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:31:31 -0600

On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 23:19, probedude wrote:

> Doesn't Nissan give you the first complimentary oil change with the first
> complimentary 1000 miles checkup?

I got a complimentary change, but not at 1000 miles.  The manual says to
take it easy for the first 1000 miles, but doesn't say a bloody word
about changing the oil until 3750.  I changed at 1000 anyway, but I'm
paranoid like that some times.

> Or have I been so out of touch with reality to not know that Nissan doesn't
> do this anymore.

Not 1000 miles by policy, but complimentary change, I believe.

To Fletch:

The monkeys at the particular Nissan dealership I purchased my SE at
said, and I quote, "Using synthetic oil may void your warranty."
They're not allowed to change my oil anymore.  Aside from that,
Valvoline synthetic oil and a fresh Nissan filter every 3000 miles helps
me sleep better at night.  Your mileage may vary.  Check the archives if
you want to hear other peoples' rants.

Do what you like, but follow the manual as guidelines.  I'm not going to
say something ignorant like "Oil is Oil," but everybody has their
preferences, and no two are exactly alike.  I like Valvoline products,
others won't let anything but Pennzoil run through their galleys.
Others swear by Mobil-1.  I'm starting to think that Mobil-1 is viril in
nature.  Nissan recommends two different weights for the '01 SR20DE, but
I have no idea about the QR25DE.  One weight is for normal weather, one
weight is for climates below 30*F, so that's what I just cycled in for
our Central Midwestern Winter.  If you live in a nicer climate, use the
warmer weight.

The only solid advice *I* will give is to USE NISSAN FILTERS.  I used a
Purolator PureOne once, and it was a mistake.  Trust me on this one; for
my other cars, nothing but a PureOne will do; for the Nissan, it's OEM
only.  The other advice that rings true is that the primary reason for
changing oil on a street car is to reduce contaminents.  If you never
see 4000 RPM, and you never changes go over 3000 miles, you probably
don't need synthetic oil.  If you bounce off the rev limiter at every
shift but you changed your oil every 500 miles, you still might not need
synthetic.  If you're feeling paranoid, though, buy synthetic.

--
-=|JP|=-           Need a good geek?  I'm unemployed!

 '01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://www.xanga.com/cowboydren/    |  <//><
 '95 SL2 Auto   |       cowboydren @ yahoo . com        |