RWD SR20DET Bearing Pics Part II

Thomas Reynolds treynolds@gonetrix.com
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:26:39 -0600

On Dec 30th I wrote:
> Please tell us if you think these bearings should be replaced. (We really
> just want to do the rod bearings.)

Well I pushed James to go ahead and buy Main bearings even though he didn't
want to spend the money and because the top halves looked good. Well today
we were in the awful process of taking the timing chain, front cover, rear
main plate off to pull the crank to put the new mains in. AHA! I was so
happy to find what we found. It justified all the trouble. I put all the
pics on a website at the bottom of this email for all to see but here are
some selected pics.

What we have here is a starved oil bearing, #1 journal. Plenty of brass
shown.
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~fthomasr/silvia_bearings/images/MVC-373X.
jpg
Remember the top halves of the bearings looked great. So never just go by
that.

http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~fthomasr/silvia_bearings/images/MVC-369X.
jpg
The rest of the bearings looked fine.

I also made James replace the chain tensioner as I knew there was an update:
It is evident here that the new piece is more stout:
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~fthomasr/silvia_bearings/images/MVC-389X.
jpg

Because of this well worn bearing, which indicate a lack of oil change
and/or levels by previous owner, should we go to the trouble of buying a new
oil pump (which is quite hard to find for this engine) or does one not
assume that the oil pump has been prematurely worn?

Now there are many more pics of each of these at this link for all to see:
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~fthomasr/silvia_bearings

Thomas
'97 200SX SE-R
F-Max Stage II Turbo