Mixing natural and synthetic oil.

Jon Pennington cowboydren@yahoo.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:05:30 -0600

On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 17:55, Robert Jones wrote:

> I have a 2001 Sentra SE. I had Mobil 1 Synthetic put into at at 3500 miles.

Yeesh.  I waited for 7k, but that's me.  I'd be more worried that your
rings/bearings/etc. didn't seat/break in properly than mixed oil.

> I picked up the car, there were still 6 quarts of Mobil 1 in the trunk.

Did you just learn which dealership *not* to take your car to?

> This is the first car I've run synthetic oil in.  I've heard you can cause
> problems mixing synthetics with dino juice.

If this were so, why would they sell blended oils?  Granted, a blended
oil is done in fixed percentages, but I really don't think you have
anything to worry about.  The real problem is when high-mileage cars get
converted from dino to synthetic; your engine (like mine) is just a
baby.  Assuming that the everything made it through the breakin period
properly, you'll be fine.

> (At least they didn't charge me for the oil, since they had me flagged as
> providing my own. :/ )

Bastards.  I'd make 'em do it again based on the concept of not
listening to their customer, but if I'm right about danger to your
engine, the choice is yours.

--
-=|JP|=-           Need a good geek?  I'm unemployed!

 '01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://www.xanga.com/cowboydren/    |  <//><
 '95 SL2 Auto   |       cowboydren @ yahoo . com        |