Indy Tracks

Linn, Steve Steve.Linn@cornerstonecontrols.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:37:37 -0600

Mr. Roffe said:
>Nope.  You're thinking Indianapolis Motor Speedway.  Indianapolis Raceway
>Park is entirely different.  We couldn't afford IMS unless several of us
>won different lotteries.
Absolutley correct - IMS only rents to teams for testing - no open track
events.
Indianapolis Raceway Parks course generally does not do any open track
events.  The road course is only used for a handful of events every year as
their main focus is drag racing (you may have heard of a little deal called
the US Nationals).  From personal experience of working corners for SCCA and
vintage events there, plus having taken quite a few unofficial "hot laps"
IRP may not be very well suited anyway.  All of turn 15 is surrounded by
walls on both sides that are a couple feet from track edge.  I shudder to
imagine a bunch of SE-R's then going thru turn 15A (which brings you back on
to the drag strip/front straight) in the rain - the VHT on the drag strip
turns to a nice icy surface.
Steve A said:
>Don't forget to check out Putnam Park (http://www.putnampark.com).
>Excellent 1.75+ mile 10+ turn track.  Only about ten years old.  Indy/CART
>teams have known to test there.
This is the only realistic choice - there are already several local groups
that host open track days.  Only problem is that it is expensive and they
are generally booked up.
Steve L. in Indy