Tranny problem

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter@hotmail.com
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:02:03 -0600

From: Matt4Nissan@aol.com wrote:

>Went to push in the clutch pedal... THUMP! Straight to the floor. I figured
>it would be my cable snapped. Nope I pop the hood and look at the cable,
>it's fine. I look at the arm that it attaches to. That's not ok. It's just
>about to the point to where it's going to snap. But it hasn't snapped yet.
>So I

Well if the arm isn't all bent over or otherwise displaced, and if you can
move the arm by hand through it's usual throw (~2 inches) - then my guess is
a PP failure.  Mine did it at 92Kmi.  Others have failed at about the same
mileage.  You will probably find a sheared-off PP rivets jammed into the PP
release fingers.  Is is stuck in the 'engaged' mode - ie - you can start the
car in 1st gear and the car moves under engine power? :)

Time for a clutch job.

I also suggest welding/reinforcing the arm when you get the trans out.  No
need to remove it from the trans.

-Bill
'92 Classic @ 144Kmi w/ stuff