shifting technique

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 00:11:30 -0600

I was watching some Austrialan touring car racing and they showed a shot of the
driver's footwork.  It was pretty interesting.... for upshifting, they'd just
lift the throttle, no clutch.  For downshifting, they'd do the usual heel-toe
work.  For a no clutch upshift, do they need some heavy duty synchros or
something?

And about midway down a long straight, the particular driver they showed would
tap the brakes with his left foot while going full throttle down the straight
to check for pedal pressure; never seen that before but it makes sense.  You
want to make sure you have brakes before you have to stop at the end of a long
straight!

A side note, it's too bad they don't sell the Ford Falcon here in the states
which they race down under.  I saw one when I was up in Detriot, big brakes,
big wheels, 5 speed, 4 door V8.... About the only car that I can think of that
fits that description here in the states is the M5.

Khiem